Monday, May 3, 2010

Iron Man 2010

Saturday morning started of extremely early at 2:30 in the AM! My mom was awesome and let us drop of Brenden to her at 3:00. We then headed into Summit picked up a few people and headed out to Sand Hollow. Once there we got all organized and hung out until about 6 when the guards were sent out to the boats and paddle boards and I took my position on the dock (out of the 54 degree water!)

At 6:45 the race began for the professionals and then it was time for the age divisions. There were over 2000 people that started off at the same time. It was so crazy! (I didn't have my camera at this point since I was suppose to be guarding so I stole this picture from the spectrum page)
My job was to watch people near the end and make sure they didn't die and help the people that got pulled out of the water off the boats and jet skies. In other triathlon I have guarded we only had about 3 people quite but this time there was about 40 and they were not in very good shape by the time they convinced themselves they could not do it. We saw a few seizures and a lot of hypothermia. I learned how to use a gurney to that was fun. The nice EMT lady showed me:) After awhile all the excitement was a bit too much and I was hoping everyone else would just finish on there own. Near the end I finally spotted Moss out there on his paddle board. He told me later he figured he paddled about 4 miles going back and forth pulling people out and taking them to the boats. Luckily he was plenty warm though since he had two wet suits on.

He had to give on of his guards a boost too since there board was lame and wouldn't hold them up much. My view from out on the dock...
Moss posing! He had lots of fun but was plenty sore yesterday.Me and my hubby, I love when he takes me a long to be his shadow!

3 comments:

Aaron and Bonnie said...

That is very intense. I could never do that. I would be so sad for the people that didn't make it. Yeah, that is a good grandma to watch your little fella!

Stout Family said...

Cool that you helped with that! We went at watched the finish line a couple times and it was SO awesome and inspiring! That is scary that all those people were gettin messed up in the freezing water. Scary job. Well done:)

Lillypad Good Times said...

Great job you two..."You are an Ironman" too!